JIFA Leadership Circle
The JIFA Leadership Circle leverages the buying power of institutions—synagogues, Hillels, camps, JCCs, schools, food service and catering companies—to align supply chains with institutional values and change the way animals are raised for food. JIFA provides a tailored approach to working with Jewish institutions and offer hands-on consulting, free of charge.
The Leadership Circle honors diverse organizations which share common Jewish values around compassion for animals, preserving the planet, and building healthier food systems. JIFA assists Jewish institutions of varying sizes and with differing food-sourcing models. All of them are finding creative and effective ways to translate their values into action, often at significant savings to costs.
Become a Member
Jewish institutions that commit to the Leadership Circle requirements join a growing number of institutions increasing demand for plant-based foods as well as products that come from animals raised in higher welfare conditions. Contact us to join today.
To join the Leadership Circle, an institution must commit to reduce the total volume of animal products they purchase by at least 20 percent (normalized by the number of meals served), and, optionally, transition one or more animal product category (for example, beef or eggs) to 100 percent higher welfare products within two years. Members are recognized for each commitment they make.
Learn more about each certification’s standards by visiting their websites:
- Animal Welfare Approved (AWA) and Certified Grassfed, by A Greener World
- Certified Humane (see Pasture-Raised systems only)
- Global Animal Partnership (see Step4 and above only)
- Regenerative Organic Certified (see Gold level only)
*A note on kosher poultry:
In the coming years, we expect to see changes within the Kosher market that mirror better chicken welfare commitments across the broader US industry. Animals raised primarily on pasture, with genetics that support a better overall quality of life, will gradually replace conventional chickens in indoor systems as businesses and communities continue to commit demand better. Within 2 years of these birds becoming available to the Kosher market, JIFA will no longer accept Cornish Cross hybrid chickens as higher welfare, regardless of how they are raised. JIFA has worked with Kosher Higher Welfare suppliers to reintroduce Kosher Heritage chicken, which remains the “gold standard” in poultry welfare. Heritage breed turkeys have not yet been reintroduced to the Kosher market. If you are looking to replace your conventional chicken or turkey with higher welfare options now or in the future, we encourage you to be in touch with us directly to stay informed on new supply chain developments.
- Receive ongoing free consulting from JIFA staff
- Access best practices and resources for plant-forward dining
- Get expert support to calculate the impact of your institution’s plant-forward dining in terms of cost reductions and carbon impact
- Connect with certified higher welfare suppliers and verified kosher higher welfare meat suppliers
- Obtain public recognition for leadership, including
- Support with local and national media, including communication templates and examples
- Recognition via JIFA’s communication channels
- Align your food choices with the animal welfare, environmental sustainability and nutritional values of your institution!
Current Leadership Circle members were recognized for animal welfare standards adopted between 2016-2020. Moving forward, existing members will have until 2023 to meet these new Leadership Circle standards.